My parents gave me this pretty little candle jar for my birthday. It was intended for use with a tealight, but that left the lower part of the jar in darkness. So instead, I decided to burn oil in it, using a floating wick. I made the wick following the instructions in this pdf and, after a little tweaking to stop the cork portion of the wick stand from burning, I think it's working rather well :-)
I've found that canola oil gives a very smoky flame, grapeseed oil is a bit smoky and olive oil is barely smoky at all.
My thanks to Anna and Aunty Elspeth for helping me test the lamp while Martin was away.