Thursday 9 March 2017

A sashiko sunhat for me :-)

I realised a while back that my sunhat, whilst fun and very me, doesn't actually shield my face from the sun very well.

What to do?  I thought it'd be a fun challenge to try and make myself a new one from things I already had lying around the house.  It felt like it'd be a great use of  resources, too :-)

I based my pattern largely on this one, with a bit of help from lots of others.  I used scraps from old jeans for the outer and a much-loved 20 year old skirt that I'd recently retired for the lining.  The outer is embroidered with several different sashiko stitches - it seems I can't get enough sashiko right now!

It took a while to work out a pattern where the crown tapered smoothly over my head (mocking up each iteration in newspaper).  Then it took a while longer to work out the brim: I wanted it to be nice and wide to shade my face from the sun, but the denim scraps I was working with weren't that big.  For a while I thought I might have to give up on the denim altogether, but eventually figured out a solution: make the brim in three pieces (not two) and taper towards the back.  And, when it finally came to putting it together, I discovered it was going to be just too floppy with only interfacing stiffening the brim :-(  Denim's pretty heavy!  That one was solved with plastic - there's a ring of the plastic sheeting they put on the front of spiral bound files going right around inside :-)

I'm really pleased with how it's worked out!

It's even reversible - strings and all!

I'm looking forward to wearing it in a couple of weeks time when our street celebrates Neighbours Day 2017 :-)

Whilst I was figuring out the pattern, I spent my sewing time finishing up the sashiko on two second hand pillow cases I'd started embroidering back in October.  I'm really pleased with how they've turned out, too.

(excuse the terrible lighting!)

No comments:

Post a Comment